We are a Christian community.
We worship in the Anglican tradition.
We’ve been here since the 1840’s.
Traveling missionaries held services in various homes in this area as early as the 1820s. By 1843, Anglicans built a small church near Caledon East, then replaced that with a frame structure in 1848. While both early churches are gone, the cemetery (hyperlink) remains on the southwest corner of Old Church Road and Innis Lake Road.The present church in the village of Caledon East was built in 1901, in the style of an English country church. Seats and other furniture were constructed on site of oak. The altar was brought from ‘Old St. James’ before it was torn down.
The parish of St. James celebrated 150 years in 1998 with the dedication of a new parish hall, with kitchen, washrooms and choir room. In 2002, an office, incumbent’s office, library and meeting room were added. St. “James parishioners donated thousands of person-hours to both projects.Churches have no purpose if they are empty. Besides worship services held in the church, the hall and other spaces are used throughout the week for community purposes such as bridge, Lifetree Cafe, Caledon Seniors, Chamber Concerts, yoga and other activities.