Outreach at St. James
Micah 6:8: “What does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God.”
The focus of our Outreach program is to support people in need who are FAR from our Caledon East community, those who are NEAR and also those who are HERE in our church or in our community. We know that we live in a world where there is so much need and that there is so much more that we could do. If you feel that you are able to assist our efforts in some way, please join us.
Outreach to those who are FAR away:
-We have a foster child in Guatemala whom we have supported through the charity, The Arms of Jesus, for several years
- We have made $500 donations to the following charities: Sleeping Children Around the World, The World Evangelical Alliance, in support of children affected by hurricanes in the Caribbean, and Water Ambassadors Canada, which seeks to provide clean drinking water to desperately poor people in devveloping countries. Money generated from sales in our Bell Tower Boutique greatly assist to make these donations possible.
- Our congregation supports FaithWorks through individual donations. FaithWorks seeks to assist homelss people, newcomers and refugees, at-risk women, children and youth, aboriginal peoples and those who are AIDS/AODS impacted
Outreach to those who are NEAR:
Through donations of food, clothing and many other items, we support the following organizations:
- The Bridge Prison Ministry, Brampton- creates a "bridge" between correctional institutions and the street; helps offenders to successfully and safely reintegrate back into the community
- The Elizabeth Fry Society, Peel Region - similar to The Bridge, but for female offenders
- Choices Youth Shelter, Orangeville - Their "mission is be a safe and supportive resource within Dufferin County that offers homeless youth,16 to 24 years of age, a alternative to living on the street and supports their transition to a more prductive and brighter future
Outreach to those who are HERE:
The Little Food Cupboard - a new outreach program to help those in our area who are experiencing food insecurity.
We support each other here at St. James through home visits, phone calls, hugs, listening ears, smiles and encouragement. We also have a small team of people who assist Mother Michelle with visits to those who are ill, bereaved or in need of support of some kind.